Friday, August 19, 2011

A 'JUST BECAUSE' Q-BIT

When I was a little girl, my mother was the quintessential housewife of the 1940s - spotless house, a good meal on the table three times a day, she even ironed the cleaning rags so they would look neat in the drawer! I loved her blue and red kitchen all decorated with cafe curtains and a clean, ironed tablecloth every meal. The tablecloths were usually printed with a fruit motif - often cherries. And for my birthday, she always made my favorite Maraschino cherry and walnut cake. I made the above quilt several years ago to celebrate those warm feelings. Since her birth date is approaching; I made a Q-Bit with the recipe for the cake as the background, the cherry motif from the quilt, and a blue and white patchwork border in remembrance. She died way too young, and I miss her everyday.
Below is the back of the Q-Bit.

The quilt measures 41" x 41", and was published in my book, "Traditional Two Block Quilts". The Q-Bit measures 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".

No comments: