Monday, July 27, 2015

A NEW WEEK, A NEW PROJECT

The urge to start something new did not pass.

Back in THE day when I was very busy writing a couple of books which required lots of designing and making of quilts, I was always pressed for time.  Consequently, I was unable to explore further the possibilities of some of my favorite designs.
This is one of the quilts from my book, "Keepsake Signature Quilts", that I had wanted to try with different colors, fabrics, and without signatures.
KEEPSAKE STAR
Now is the time!!!

I have been wanting to make a small table topper to use for both patriotic and Christmas holidays.  So I went to my stash of scraps.  Pulled out the boxes with blues and teals shaded to green.  I found enough scraps to make each of the 25 stars in a different fabric.
 Added some red and some background beiges.
And got started.
Boy!  Was I in for a surprise?  This quilt looks so different from my original 'Keepsake Star' even though it is the same pattern.  
It's always amazing to me how different a quilt can look by using different fabrics and shifting the lights and darks.
Where have my stars gone?  The emphasis is now on an "X-factor" in the center instead of the stars. 
I was a little disappointed as I do love those stars.  Even after all my years of making quilts, I still can be surprised -- guess that's what keeps me at it.

The top is finished, and now ready for basting and some hand quilting.  It's growing on me even without its galaxy of stars!


I'm joining the following:
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Quilting Readers Garden for WIPS Be Gone Friday

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those do look very different! Thanks for showing them side by side. I enjoyed looking back and forth and seeing the differences. I found you from the linky at MCM.

sewyouquilt2 said...

thats what makes quilting so fun I think. I have made tons of dresdan tops and they are all different from modern red and black to all over liberty prints and old fashioned looking. love the way that pattern makes the white stars too. funny how colors play upon each other.

Angie in SoCal said...

Very different and very fun. That is interesting how those sashing stars disappear - but I only noticed it after you mentioned it. Otherwise my eye saw them. Great top.

Tish Stemple said...

I've always thought that it's amazing that changing colors or shades can make such a difference. The crazy thing is I didn't realize that I was seeing x's and not starts. Funny how we perceive things.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

One of the things I love is how one design can look so different with different fabrics! Looks great!

Angie in SoCal said...

Two amazing quilts from one pattern. Color sure does make a difference. Love them both.