Sunday, August 23, 2015

DEAR JEANNE UPDATE #1

I'm still working on the drafting of patterns to use in my Dear Jeanne quilt -- that part is easy.  But, I keep anguishing over a possible color story for the quilt.
Below, are three versions of the 'Sawtooth Star' (or Keepsake Star) that I've tried.  The yukky first one is already in the trash.  The second one is better, but I'm just not feeling the purple.  The third one I like.  Guess I'm just a red person and may break my self-imposed rule of no red in this quilt.  My Grandmother was always right -- she said every quilt needs some red in it.
I made two of the 'Court House Steps' block.  In my eyes, the red one wins (of course).
Here is the 'Calling Card' block in the two colorways.  In the purple version, I used one side of a blue dotty fabric; in the red one, I used the reverse side.
I also intend to include twelve 5" applique blocks.  So I experimented with this one (no red).  I've framed these pictures with a black border to kind of get the effect of the narrow black sashing I'm considering.
That's it for now.  I'm anxious to get going on this quilt.  Don't be surprised to see some more red in the future!

I'm joining the following:
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday
Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social Wednesday
Quilting Readers Garden for WIPS Be Gone Friday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Quilt Shop Gal for Creative Goodness Party Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

It looks like you are making great progress considering all the test blocks you've done. It's hard to pick colors sometimes. But blue is always a winner!

Cathy said...

I love the red! Especially with the blue backgrounds. It is gorgeous!

Kate said...

Maybe your eye just doesn't get excited about cool colors. Red definitely spices up any project. Good luck with your selections.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I REALLY like that blue flower you appliqued and embroidered. Lovely job.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I'm with you on the red in these blocks. I think it adds a bit more punch than in the purple versions.

Angie in SoCal said...

I"m inclined toward the ones with purple and blue - the red is okay for me, but I'd use smaller bits of it to not make them so bright. It's a great idea. This will be an extraordinary DJ. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

Angie in SoCal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I find the blue/purple combinations blend too much and the design gets blurred. Really like the applique flower block - it will add a flourish to the quilt :)