Wednesday, October 9, 2024

"H" IS FOR HUMANITY


 Since we recently visited the Amache Japanese WW2 internment camp site; I have been thinking how I could honor, with a quilt, the courage of these American citizens that were interned during this inequitable part of our history.  All humankind deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

 Thanks to my friend, Marsha, who gave me the scraps from a quilt she made that had a Japanese aesthetic; combined with the traditional H block, it all came together.


THE STATS:  "H" Is For Humanity", 26" x 28", Paper Pieced, Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted


My Story:  As a child during World War Two, I remember hearing about the Amache Japanese internment camp.  My family, as farmers, secured work release permission to hire and to bring some of the interned young men to our farm to help in the harvest.  They were paid the going salary, given transportation, and a place to stay during this temporary employment.  I inherited a significant amount of paper work that documents the salaries paid, etc., which I have donated to the Amache museum.  My hope is that the internees were treated with the respect that they deserved while they were at our farm.  Several remained as friends with my family after they were released from the camp and returned to California.  Some of the most cherished gifts we received at our wedding in the late 1950s were from these courageous and special people.

P.S.:  Our son has visited Japan several times; and has, in the past, brought me back Japanese fabric.  I have included pieces in this quilt.



No comments: