Friday, August 21, 2026

STEPS TO THE COURT HOUSE

A log cabin quilt contains one of the most popular blocks used in quiltmaking.  I've certainly done my share having made several.  Time to make another; this time the court house steps variation.


  

THE STATS:  "Steps To The Court House", 2026, 34" x 34", Paper Pieced, Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted.

I'm partial to this variation because of the many fond memories I have of my hometown county seat and its courthouse.  I was born in that county and my birth certificate was issued from there;  my grandfather's office as a county commissioner in the 1940s was located there.  I remember very clearly at age 16 when I took my driving test and received my license on the street in front of the building.  Then, Bob, his mother, and I went there to get our marriage license.  At that time, the bride only needed to be 18 years old, but the groom needed to be 21.  We were 19, so Bob's mother had to sign for him to marry me!  Fourteen years later we, with our 4-year old son, went to the court house to pick up at the welfare office a 3-week old baby girl for adoption.  After six months time, the last trip to that building was for the final signing of her adoption papers. Who would have thought at that time she would be the mother of our adult grandchildren?  It has been a long journey with many steps to that Otero County court house!!!

This is the court house of my childhood----


Then in the late 1950s they tore the orginal building down, and built this one.



P.S.:  One misstep on the steps of that court house -----

As a mother of a four year old, I thought I knew everything.  Wrong!!  When we left the welfare office with our new daughter,  I threw her pacifier away in the trash barrel on the steps of the building.   She found her thumb before we even got to the car.  She ended up spending ten years of her childhood in orthodontia.  Edited to add:  A favorite picture -- she had just gotten her braces off in time for her senior year in high school.






No comments: