Several years ago 'Round Robin' quilts were popular. The idea is that one person makes the center block; then passes it onto another person who adds a border of their choosing; then the quilt goes to the third person who does the same; and the process is repeated with different quiltmakers until a certain size is reached. At this point, the completed top is returned to the orginal block maker, as the owner, to do the quilting and binding. In a group of quiltmakers, there could be several quilts making the rounds at the same time. Some round robins had rules, such as color, fabrics, size, etc.; or there could be no rules leaving it up to the indiviual quiltmakers.
I have never been part of such a group, but the idea has always interested me. I decided to give the idea a try even as a lone quilter.
Without any plan as to any possible borders, I made my center block with the mindset that I would use just what fabrics I had on hand and no particular design idea except to finish with a half-way cohesive product. Every border was approached with no idea of what I was going to do. I had a couple of false starts; and because there was no pattern or previous idea to follow, the math aspect was complicated on occasion. This is the end product, and it was a fun, enjoyable process.
THE STATS: "Rinse and Repeat", 2026, 25" x 25", Machine Appliqued, Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted




No comments:
Post a Comment