Friday, June 25, 2021

DOLL QUILTS #3, #4, #5

My previous post shows doll quilts #1 and #2 and explains why I'm making these tiny objects.  I have now completed #3, #4, and #5, and am through with doll quilts for the time being.  I think five are enough for the purpose.  Besides these "not so nimble anymore fingers" are tired of sewing on 1/4" finished binding! 

Number 3


The Stats: "Triangle Doll Quilt", 2021, 11" x 16", Paper pieced, Machine pieced, Machine quilted. 2.5" blocks.

Number 4


The Stats:  "I Spy Doll Quilt", 2021, 13" x 16", Machine pieced, Machine quilted.    1.5" blocks.

Number 5


The Stats:  "4-Patch Doll Quilt", 2021, 12" x 15", Machine pieced, Machine quilted. 1.5" blocks.

Below is the first doll quilt I made at age 11 under the tutelage of my grandmother.  I was more interested in learning to quilt, than playing with dolls at that age.  But we decided to make the quilt for my favorite doll from early childhood, a baby-sized boy doll named Jerry.  It is made from my grandmother's sewing scraps reminiscent of the 1940-1950 era.

The scraps I have used for my current doll quilts may not be consistant with our image of doll quilts, but I used what I had refusing to buy anything new just for a doll quilt.  That's what my grandmother did!


The next post will be with the miniature cupboard that Bob has almost finished.  It is adorable!


No comments: