Monday, June 14, 2021

H BRAND/H BLOCK



A letter H quilt has always been on my quilt bucket list. 

 As the legend goes, the H block was developed to mimic the flags with a large H on them in the civil war to indicate a hospital.  It was turned into a quilt probably by a mourning mother or widow.  



The Stats:  H Brand, 2021, 21"x29", Machine paper pieced, Machine quilted.

My attraction to the block has been that it is the first letter of my maiden name.   The Haines family came to Colorado in 1886, pioneering in the sheep and cattle industry.  I inherited their sheep brand, which is a wooden large H.  Our sheep were not branded like the cattle; but the wooden brand was dipped in blue paint, then imprinted onto the lambs.



Of course, I also have pictures from the 1930s --


My grandfather in the sheep pens in the 1930s.
I always remember him dressed this way with a tie,
even working the ranch/farm.

My grandfather (2nd from left) and his cronies in the cattle pen in the
1930s.  These weren't cowboys, they were business men.








No comments: