Tuesday, August 24, 2021

FANFARE

All these years of quiltmaking I have shied away from curve piecing on the machine.  A couple of times I have done a practice block then discarded my idea for the project.  The idea of matching up a concave curve to a convex curve with seam allowances seemed to be more than I wanted to conquer at the time.  Since now I quilt only to satisfy my creative urges and as a learning experience, it is time for curved piecing.

This is what I have learned:

#1:  An accurate pattern is imperative.  I discovered that even 1/16th of an inch error can mess things up.  I'm sure there are very good patterns in the marketplace; but I'm old school and design and draft my own patterns.  I have confidence in my mathematical and drafting skills, but had to tweak my orginal pattern.

#2:  Practice does make perfect (well, almost!).  After doing the curved seam sixteen times for these four blocks, I feel confident and even found it easy. Granted, these are 5 1/2 inch blocks, so the curve is relatively shallow; therefore a smaller block may not be as easy.

#3:  Not sure I am ready to tackle a 4 inch-New York Beauty block yet, but who knows.  I may be harboring false confidence!!

When I finished the top, I wasn't that fond of the design.  Now that it is quilted and finished, I'm liking it better.  Guess it proves the old adage -- "It's not a quilt until it is quilted."


The Stats:  Fanfare, 2021, 28" x 28", Paper pieced fans, machine pieced curves, machine quilted.

No comments: