Wednesday, November 29, 2023

STARDUST



I've mentioned before that I never follow an existing pattern.  By doing so, for me, it takes the fun out of making a quilt.  I enjoy the prep work as much as the actual sewing and quilting.  If I'm not making a scrappy quilt, which I usually just design as I go; this is what I do to figure yardage requirements, patterns, etc.

I know it doesn't make sense to everyone, but I find it a fun and creative activity!  I, also, realize I'm a number's nerd.

THE STATS:  Stardust, 2023, 36"x36", Paper pieced, Machine pieced, Machine quilted.

I don't often critique my quilts on this forum, letting the readers form their own opinions.  However, this quilt bothers me on several levels.

1.  When I designed this quilt on paper, I intended to make the individual blocks 3" square.  In some memory lapse; when I drew the blocks actual size, I made them 4".  By the time I discovered this, I was into the making of the quilt and continued on.  To me it would have been much better in a smaller format with less negative space.

2.  The accuracy in piecing is good.  I liked the colors and the fabrics of this collection very much, so I bought them specifically for this quilt.  However, in my frugal nature; I don't usually do that.  There are no scraps of fabric purchased in the past at lower price in this quilt.  It was, therefore, an expensive hit to my quilting budget; and also now the quilt appears boring to me.

3.  I did use a fabric from my stash for the backing.  It is too plain for my liking, but I felt I had to use what I had because of the budget.

4.  My machine quilting on a domestic machine is always questionable.  This is no exception, but acceptable for the amount of quilting required in the negative space.

5.  On the positive side, I enjoyed the geometric challenge of design and the piecing process was fun; and with quilting complete, it appeals to me a little better.

It is what it is -- always a learning experience.  Your comments????


No comments: