Thursday, March 28, 2024

DOUBLE DASH

If you are familiar with my quilts, you know that the majority are scrappy in nature.  I prefer to work in that multi-fabric theme.  Number one, frugality is in my DNA plus it was the reason for the development of patchwork originally; and number two, I like the additional challenge to motivate me in quilt making to use what I have on hand.  When it is necessary to buy yardage for backing and borders, I always think about will the fabric/color scraps be useful in a future quilt. 

This scrap quilt is based on an old quilt block called Churn Dash from the 1890s. The original block only had one colored bar, but I like it with two colored bars for more depth.  I added a pieced sashing, also with a colored bar to produce a secondary pattern.    It sure was fun playing with a multitude of fabrics, and experiencing how they interact with each other.  Is it true that all shades of red go together???

THE STATS:  Double Dash, 2024, 29"x29", Machine pieced, Machine quilted.  The number nerd reports 481 pieces in the top!

I've run out of motivation using these brighter colors for the time being -- need to start a brown, neutral quilt.  I try to embrace the coming of Spring; BUT instead of Spring fever, I often get Spring depression.  I'm such a winter person!

No comments: