Tuesday, May 1, 2018

GATHERING WOOL -- A CRAZY QUILT

I thoroughly enjoyed making this crazy quilt with wool and machine embellishment.  This was different from my previous crazy quilt experiences which were done by hand and with cotton fabric.
 Each block was spontaneous, but contains a memory such as copies of my grandchildren's doodles and drawings, favorite bible verses and songs, and meaningful appliques.

The majority of the wool fabric was sourced from thrift-store wool garments gathered over the years.  I used up various older spools of thread --- it took 10 loaded bobbins!  Lots of thread!!!
Everything was done on the machine including the binding -- a new experience for me.  The secret was "Heat n Bond" holding the binding down while I machine stitched it.

























The Stats:
"Gathering Wool", 2018, 22"x 22", Machine stitched and embellished.  Sixteen 
5" blocks.



(Photographed on our beautiful in-bloom cherry tree.)

I'm joining the following:
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Em's Scrapbag for Moving It Forward Monday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday

2 comments:

grammajudyb said...

So interesting. So special. You must be very proud!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my Sally, what a work of art! I love wool and this is so gorgeous. I also love how you added the sentimental bits to it. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann