Thursday, May 24, 2018

RAINBOW GRADATION

I made this top in 2015 and never did quilt it.  It was an exercise in gradation and to study the properties of printed fabric and how they relate to each other.  
I had an afternoon to spare this week, and decided to do a quick quilt on it with my walking foot and a simple wave design.
I love to spend time in my scrap bins; and when I made the top, I came up with 182 different fabrics to gradate.
It's amazing how your eye perceives fabric when different pieces are placed next to each other.

THE STATS:
"Rainbow Gradation", 2018, 24" x 30", Machine Pieced and Quilted, 182 different fabrics.

For more on my process of gradation, check out my original post on this top -- http://qbits-salmagundi.blogspot.com/2015/09/an-exercise-in-gradation.html

I'm joining the following:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
Ems Scrapbag for Moving It Forward Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday
Have a Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday

5 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love how portions of the rows seem to glow!!

laughing gas quilts said...

What an interesting exercise in colour! It almost makes me go to my scraps and see what i find. Almost. Congrats on getting it finished.

allthingzsewn said...

The whole quilt glows, it's like jewels in the sun. Beautiful, would be a fantastic wall hanging.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful quilt and the quilting makes the colors flow together.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

That is amazing! I'm impressed that there are so many different fabrics and love the way they flow from light to dark.