Thursday, March 25, 2021

TEMPO TWO

In the past, I have enjoyed doing over and redesigning some of the patterns of my previous quilts.  Sometimes it is because I wasn't satisfied with the result of the older quilt; or maybe I just enjoyed making the quilt, and want to experience the process again.

With this quilt, I knew that rearranging these two little blocks from my original quilt, Tempo, would produce an entirely different quilt.

Tempo Two was scaled down from the original to 36 3-inch blocks to accommodate my need to machine quilt on my small domestic machine.

I also chose all older fabrics for this quilt from my scrap bins including one of my prized Da Gama browns.  The border fabric is an old Kaye England stripe that I have loved for years. I always like using the fabric scraps that I have on hand; it challenges me sometimes to figure out how to use the amount of fabric that I have.  Thus, it was necessary to match the pattern and piece the border in a couple of places.  

The Stats: Tempo Two, 2021, 24"x24", Paper pieced, machine pieced, and machine quilted.

The original Tempo quilt, as it was pictured in my book, Traditional Two Block Quilts is shown below.  The arrangement is entirely different containing 49 4-inch blocks, and was made in 2004.  The pattern for this quilt is on page 89 of the book.


My Da Gama fabrics were designed in England and manufactured in South Africa.  I had purchased a stack of the brown fabrics on a quilt trip back in the 1990s, and have used them sparingly over the years. This is all that is left of my stack -- every little scrap is saved for a future quilt.


 Here is a quilt that contains a sample of all of my brown Da Gama fabric collection.


Below is the brown Da Gama fabric I used in the new quilt.  The fabrics come in other colors besides brown.  I would love to have some in red.

No comments: