Tuesday, February 15, 2022

CUCHARA CABIN



When I want to make a quilt that is easy and not taking much thought and uses many different fabrics from my stash, I usually figure out a traditional log cabin variation.  This is "Cuchara Cabin".

THE STATS:  Cuchara Cabin, 2022, 28"x28", Paper pieced, machine pieced, machine quilted.

I love that I was able to grow up in the quilting world where no one ever thought of purchasing a pattern.  The closest thing was maybe a pattern in one of the family's copies of "The Farm Journal".  Or you could trace pattern pieces from another quilter. These were usually made out of cereal box cardboard, and in translation, not that accurate. To me, the best way was to have a great geometry teacher in high school where you learned to figure it out yourself.  In the beginning, I received very little advice from those few quilters that I knew  --- "Use up your scraps; be frugal, and every quilt needs a little red in it."  Also, my favorite -- "The ugly blocks make the others look better". This lack of advice has stood me well, because it has challenged me to find my own personal quilting style.

In this quilt, I randomly picked fabrics without much thought for each block; the 'ugly block' theory is definitely at work!

The name I chose is from childhood trips I took with my grandmother to Cuchara, Colorado.  When the summer got so hot in southeast Colorado, she and I with my uncle driving would head to the mountains to cool off for a week. We always stayed at a log cabin that was owned by generous family friends.  Fond memories!

Photographed in Pueblo, Colorado City Park, a WPA 
project from the 1930s


No comments: