Monday, February 7, 2022

INCLUSION

 I always enjoy playing with my fabric scraps.  It is interesting to me to see how similar colors and patterns react to each other.  The slightest change in hue and value always surprises me in their interaction to their neighbors.  This quilt is playing with yellow, rust, burgundy, and brown all trying to get along -- inclusion in the neighborhood.

THE STATS:  "Inclusion", 2022, 30"x33", Machine pieced, Machine quilted.

 My designs for quilts evolve from many sources.  Some begin with a memory from my past that evokes pleasant (or not so pleasant) thoughts.  Some just come out of my mathematical brain, as I have always loved geometry and architecture.  Others evolve from fabric or an old traditional quilt that captures my fancy.  Travel near and far is a good motivation for a quilt.  Some are learning quilts -- a new skill or a sharpening of an old technique. This particular quilt covers several ideas --- learning more about color value and hue; the political news about voting rights and inclusion; and, along that line, it brought me to thinking about the memorial to the murdered Jews in Europe that I saw in Berlin, Germany.  Inspiration is out there just waiting for a personal variation. Not all of my quilts appeal to everyone, as they are not what we always think of as a traditional quilt.  They are created from my own introspection, then interpretation.


 I can't wait to start a new quilt!

No comments: