Sunday, September 17, 2023

GARLAND STREET

 

I've been reading recently about Broderie Perse quilts from the 1800s. The concept used motifs cut from floral fabric, then appliquéd by hand onto a different background. That fascinates me; but with my vision and arthritic issues I knew I would have to use a method I could accomplish.  Simple solution was to use a heat and bond product and my sewing machine for applique/embroidery.  It is not as elegant as an antique Broderie Perse quilt, but was a creative and fun project.  With each new quilt, I try to think 'out of the box' just a little!


THE STATS:  Garland Street, 2023, 24" x 24", Machine Appliqued, Machine Embroidered, Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted

Each flower and leaf was individually fussy-cut, bonded to the background. The applique and embroidery (I guess the new name is 'thread painting') was then done on the sewing machine.  


The binding was applied with a flange .  At first, I was apprehensive about getting the corners right by the machine, but it all went together easily.

THE NAME ----

At the age of 22, we bought our first house; and it was on GARLAND STREET!  We should have been named the poster children for "Joy in Home Ownership".  We painted, refinished floors, replaced curtains, etc. in that older three bedroom, two bath, half-acre-lot house; and we made it our home.  It was the start of our love affair caring for quite a few homes over the years.  Sorry kids, your inheritance has been invested in many buckets of paint!




No comments: