Monday, April 8, 2024

AROUND THE HOUSE

 The question has come up about what I do with all of the small quilts that I make.  

Maybe the question is more why I make them.  The answer --- it is my way of achieving 'self care'.  I have always enjoyed sewing and playing with fabric, and satisfying my creative urges by making quilts.  From design to the last stitch, making a quilt requires focus, patience, and some skill in sewing, understanding methods and machines, and even basic geometry.  I feel that the whole process is important to maintaining my mental acuity in my elder years.  In the past, I did make large, hand-quilted quilts; but now I need to make smaller ones completely on a domestic sewing machine because of my partial blindness and arthritic issues.  Hope that answers the 'why' question.

Since I appear to be prolific, the answer to the 'what' question is multifold.  I have always been interested in the process of the making of a quilt; and, not necessarily the product.  I have given away quilts as gifts or donations for a cause.  Others are stored for my family to disperse after I'm gone (sorry, kids).   To answer another question -- No, I have never/nor plan to personally sell any quilt. In the future, my family is free to do what they want.  There are other quilts that I have particularly enjoyed making or am pleased with the outcome that are pulled out of storage occasionally to display around the house, but only one or two at a time (my idea of airing the quilts!).  Storage, organization and documentation can be a nightmare involving three large cabinets plus the entire guest room closet, and does not include my fabric stash or photo files.

So, here are a few of the many quilts that have seen the light of day over the years around the house.

"Down the Rabbit Hole" -- 2021

"Boho Juxtaposition" -- 2021

"On Point" - 2021

"Tempo Two" -- 2021

"In Pursuit of Plaid"  -- 2021

Doll Quilts in Child's Cupboard -- 2021

"Puzzle Putzing" -- 2023

"Gathering Wool" -- 2018

"Sailor's Delight" -- 2022

"Chocolate Covered Cherries" -  2000

"Going West" -- 2017

"Halloween" -- 2016


At our celebration in 2018 of our 60th wedding anniversary, we had 30 tables covered in small quilts with fresh flowers in wooden boxes.  Here are two of them.
"Crazy Quilt" -- 2016

"Juxtaposition"  -- 2018

And, currently in our living room --
"Skyview"  2024

This is probably more info than you really wanted.  I have never been short of words or pictures when talking about my quilt life.

"Merry Go Round" -- 2015


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are wonderful and the ways you display and photograph them are endlessly clever. You’ve always been and continue to be an inspiration!