Saturday, March 11, 2017

Selvage Quilt Finish

I love fabric, plus I have huge stash of fabric scraps that span several decades.  So, a selvage quilt was a perfect project.  I managed to squeeze in 254 selvages in a 23" x 23" mini-quilt.  It was so fun to revisit favorite designers, collections, companies, colors, and designs!
Even though I didn't plan it this way, four of my favorite fabric designers ended up in a row together:  Judie Rothermel, Jo Morton, Linda Bannock, and Jinny Beyer.
The variety of fabric collection names is interesting, plus some even have the dates of manufacture.
My favorite has to be the one in the center of the photo below.  It was the selvage of a Dick and Jane fabric that I picked up at the Houston Quilt Festival 20 years ago.  It has part of a picture of "Sally", one of the characters of the Dick and Jane books and my namesake.  And, it has the year of 1996 --- the year my first grandchild was born.
I probably have enough selvages for another project, but I'm moving on ----- I found an old fabric in my scraps from probably the 1980s that is just crying out for some 'fussy cutting'.  And, I'm hoping for trip out of town to the quilt store in Colorado Springs this week. Can't wait to get started on another new project.

I'm joining the following:
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
Busy Hands Quilt for Finished or not Friday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday

14 comments:

Jenny said...

I love selvedge quilts, and yours is great - congratulations!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow, this is wonderful! And those are some of my favorite designers, too.
Cheers,
Sylvia at Treadlestitches

Heide said...

How fun! Probably brought back a lot of memories of all the different quilts you made. Turned out great!

Karen @runsewfun said...

I've been saving selvedges but have never used them yet. This is a great idea. How fun to have this hanging in your sewing room!
PS - I learned to read with Dick and Jane...and Sally!

grammajudyb said...

Great use of your selvages! I have a pretty large stash that I need to get busy with. Thanks for the inspiration!/

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

I have saved many of my favorite fabric selvages. Did you sew yours to a backing first? Love how they all work together!

Karen M said...

What a cute selvage project. I am saving selvages for 'just the right' project. Yours look like a good candidate. Thanks for sharing.

Lynette said...

Love this!! I've got a few shoeboxes that I put selvages into as I go along (also having a stash spanning decades). Some day I'll have fun with them. That's so fun about the date. Doesn't it make you wish that was a standard practice?

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Love a good selvage quilt! I can't believe you fit in so many! I always find that when I work with my selvages, it's like a trip down memory lane.

Judyk2310 said...

I love making selvedge quilts and I love yours. Everyone saves their selvedges for me and I proably get 10 - 20 a week. Thanks for sharing and giving me more ideas.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Every time I see a selvage quilt I always think I need to start saving selvages. I like your quilt, and I bet it was so fun to see all the different designs, colors, and fabric names. Congrats on a great finish! Thanks for sharing your quilt on MCM!

mangozz said...

I really love your little selvage quilt! The pieces are just the right size and the design is perfect! I can't believe there are that many in the quilt though. I've started saving selvages awhile ago and want to start a project soon with them. Another person asked, and I would like to know also, was whether or not you used any type of stabilizer? Thanks.

Salmagundi said...

For those who asked --- the selvages were sewn on a muslin foundation, which had been cut the size of each strip including seam allowance. Then the strips were sewn together in usual quilting method with sashing.

Lynette said...

This is so fun!! Is it ok that I've pinned the picture on my Scrapbusters board? I'm another one who's been saving selvages for years - I want to make a bookcase quilt with some, and a string quilt with the rest.