Tuesday, August 29, 2017

1930s REPRODUCTION SCRAPS

 Those of you that have read my quilting blog in the past know that I have a huge supply of scraps spanning several decades and 100+ quilts.  My ongoing goal is to use some of them up.  But, I think, I am failing big time ---- when I'm not looking, they seem to multiply!
Case in point ---- I pulled out this box of scraps from two quilts I made in 2001 and 2004 for books I was writing at the time. 


 Here is what the box looks like today after I finished another quilt using these fabrics.
I swear I didn't add a single fabric to the box ---- it's just a losing battle!

Here is the new table topper I made out of the 1930s repros.  Every fabric including the backing and binding came out of that box.
 It is a traditional half-log cabin pattern rotating the blocks.  I was disappointed that the yellow squares didn't show up better, so I diagonally machine quilted them to emphasize them --- it helps, I think.  It's also quilted down the center of each 1/2" log.
The 36 blocks are 3" each and paper-pieced.  The little quilt measures 21" square.
 And, an extra photo --- just because I'm enjoying our August garden!
My husband also grows a vegetable garden, and we are currently enjoying tomatoes, green beans, green peppers, and onions.  He's our resident gardener; I just quilt! 

I'm joining the following:
Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social Wednesday
Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers Wednesday
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday
Ems Scrapbag for Moving It Forward Monday

12 comments:

time4stitchn said...

What a wonderful little quilt! What a great way to use up those 30s prints! I might just have to copy your idea!

Sherry said...

This might sound funny but I think the yellow squares are more prominent when you have the quilt on the fence than when it is laying flat.

Very lovely work.

Susan said...

That is a really sweet quilt from those 30's scraps - makes for a very inviting quilt! Thanks for sharing today!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Loved seeing your tub of scraps. I am a new visitor coming from the Let's Bee Social party and you had me with the title of your link. I love 1930 repro prints and your little quilt is so pretty. Great idea to run several lines of quilting thru the yellow to make them stand out. I think it works nicely.

Lynn said...

Oh that is such a gorgeous quilt! Love the colours and the quilting does bring out the yellow Just lovely.

Danette said...

This is just an adorable little quilt! I have been reorganizing my scraps and they are not going away either!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so sweet and pretty! I definitely like the way you quilted it.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love this pretty little quilt! Great way to use up some 30's scraps.

Η Πευκοβελόνα said...

What a beautiful quilt! These are my favorite fabrics, and especially if they are scraps. I like the look, and the design!

Charo said...

I love those prints! The little quilt is lovely

Lynette said...

Hey, those prints worked up fantastic in this little quilt! The yellow squares do show up nicely with the diagonal quilting. Isn't it nice how much things can change with that stage?

Rhonda said...

What a pretty table topper. I agree with you, it's impossible to empty a scrap bin!