Tuesday, April 7, 2020

RAY OF LIGHT, GLIMMER OF HOPE

Working on this quilt during this time of isolation because of COVID-19 has been both difficult and rewarding.  At times, I have been depressed with the process of working on it; but, then, when I experience a little success, I'm excited to continue.  Such has been our journey with the 'stay at home' order.  When this little quilt was finished, I realized that the glow was a ray of light and there was indeed a glimmer of hope. 



Below, were some of my thoughts about this quilt.

DISCLAIMER:  I've never had an art class; not even any high school art instruction.  I took advanced geometry/trigonometry instead.  So, I don't claim to be an artist --- I play with fabric, sew, and make quilts.  

That being said, I've always been interested in quilts that appear to have a source of light within or a glow to them.  In 1989, I experimented with that concept with some publishing success.  This quilt was on the cover of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine #221.
 In 2002, I designed and made this quilt top, which was machine quilted by Terri Ballard as a raffle quilt for Colorado Quilting Council.
On occasion over the years, I've dabbled with the glow again.

The time has come to experiment once again with the glow factor.  I find it difficult because in geometric quilts the edges appear so sharp.  I imagine it would be an easier concept to grasp in an applique quilt, but applique is not really my thing.
So, off we go ----
I wanted to try something not so structured.  Starting with 121 2" finished units, I cut squares, rearranged, cut more lights, more darks, rearranged again and again.  This went on for several days.
Finally, I decided that something was wrong with the scale.  For a small quilt, the squares were too big making the edges more pronounced.  So I proceeded to cut all 301 squares smaller (1 1/2" finished unit) -- insanity, I know.  Art (?) is hard work -- I think I enjoy just making quilts more.

Rearranging daily, I sewed the squares together.  Finally deciding I had to quit, I slapped a border on to confine this madness.  The machine quilting is simple so the 'glow' shines.
There is a ray of light with a glimmer of hope with every struggle.  And, with faith and hope, there will be an end to the current pandemic.

I don't know if this quilt is a success. To me art is subjective and so are quilts.  The success to me has been in the process.


No comments: