Monday, June 5, 2023

OUT AND ABOUT


I have made pineapple-block projects in the past.  In the beginning I was apprehensive about maintaining accuracy; but decided paper piecing was the way to go.  That makes it super easy, accurate, and fun to do.  It also involves using scraps only 1.25" wide.


THE STATS:  Out and About, 2023, 33" x 33", Paper pieced, Machine pieced, Machine quilted.



The only large quilt I have hanging in my house is an antique log cabin from the 1800s of 81 blocks primarily in the colors of red, blue, beige/tan, and black.  I never tire of examining the fabrics and colors used in it, and how they interact.  I pulled these same  colors from my scrap bins to use for this pineapple-block quilt. 


This is my favorite for 2023 so far.  It checks all of my boxes.  176 different fabrics, 721 pieces in a 33" square -- (I'm a numbers nerd!!)  Using that many different fabrics in a small quilt reminds me of all the years of 'being out and about' to quilt meetings, national teaching gigs and symposiums plus family travels.  I've always been on the lookout for fabrics that appealed to me, and would purchase a fat quarter to take home to use in a future quilt.  Plus, there have been many trips to my local (within 50 miles) quilt/fabric stores to pick up a needed color to complete a project.  Building a stash of scraps over 45 years has been easy -- 176 fabrics is only a drop in the bucket!

P.S.:  Below are photos of the other projects I have done with the traditional pineapple block.  In the new quilt above, I used a different distribution of the light and dark fabrics and sashed the blocks. The different outcomes from the four projects shows how the choice of color, fabrics, and layout change the look.

"Pineapple Salad", 2018, 24"x24"

"Scalloped Pineapple", 2021, 18"x36"

"Down the Rabbit Hole", 2021, 22"x22"


1 comment:

eileen said...

Wonderful pineapple quilts, love the blues and browns. I have yet to make one!