Tuesday, November 10, 2015

CHRISTMAS TREE SKIRT

I made a Christmas tree skirt for my church about 30 years ago.  We (some of us church ladies out to lunch) decided that maybe a new skirt was in order.  I guess I was the logical volunteer.  
I thought about looking for a pattern, but then just decided to go for it.  This is what I came up with.  I bought two yards of the blue sky-like fabric and some gray and white fat quarters.
The stars are paper pieced.
I'm not a machine quilter, don't claim to be, and don't plan on learning; but sometimes, a sewing project calls for it.  I just used my walking foot and masking tape to keep my lines straight.  Wish I could have afforded to have a wonderful machine quilter do their magic.  Until my ship comes in, for most things I will continue to hand quilt; and only occasionally get out my walking foot.  You would think that someone who hand quilts would have the patience to machine quilt, but not me.  Hats off to you machine quilters!!
The label on the back ---



I'm joining the following:
Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday
Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social Wednesday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Quilting Readers Garden for WIPS Be Gone Friday
A Quilted Passion for Whoomp There It is! Saturday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday

11 comments:

Mari said...

What a gorgeous piece! i'd be tempted to leave it out all year!

Cut&Alter said...

What a gorgeous item to go around the tree!

saroy said...

Wow, this is really cool! And so different than the normal tree skirts I've seen.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You did a beautiful job. Lovely!

Laura said...

That's beautiful!

Kate said...

Beautifully done! Love your color choices for the skirt.

Lara B. said...

A beautiful tree skirt! Very artistic and I think your quilting is perfect for it! Love the verses on the back.

Carli The Quilter said...

Wow, lovely job on this beautiful tree skirt, its a keeper!

Zenia Rene said...

Sally you sure did a bang up job for being a hand quilter.Very nice work. Thanks for linking up! =)

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

The color choices for your tree skirt are fantastic; it really could be left out all year! Your quilting looks great and is a perfect complement to the piecing. Thanks so much for linking to MCM - have a great week!

beth s said...

WOW! what a lovely tree skirt!! Great job!