Thursday, October 26, 2017

A DIFFERENT QUILTMAKING JOURNEY

After a lifetime of quiltmaking -----  Yes, I was 11 when I made this lovely little thing ---
--- I am now at the point of quilting only to satisfy my own creative urges.  I no longer have to make quilts to satisfy student's expectations.  Or, adhere to editor's needs such as specific colors/fabrics and is it patternable?, etc.  My kids all have a quilt, or if they need another one; they can come to my house and take one from the stacks of class samples and quilts made for publication.  

I've made quilts for donation, charity, raffle quilts, worked on group quilts;  and I have made quilts as presents for special people ----- all while considering other people's expectations.

So now at the age of 78, I find myself able to quilt with a freedom I've previously not experienced in my quilt journey.  Unless I choose to, my quilts are not made according to some one else's needs or wants.

And, I've discovered that a quilt doesn't have to be special or spectacular to have worth. 

Just the process of creating a quilt has become more important to me than the finished product.
My husband stopped by my quilting room the other day and asked, "What are you making?"  I said, "I don't know."  "What's the name of that pattern?"  I answered, "I don't know.  It's two different traditional blocks, and I'm combining them to hopefully produce a secondary pattern."
  I loved the idea that I didn't know where I was headed ---- I just knew I was enthralled with playing with my fabric scraps, doing the math, and soaking up the repetitive serenity of the sewing process.


This little quilt definitely falls in the category of NON-spectacular, but I experienced such joy and satisfaction in it's creation.    There are some advantages to old age!

THE STATS ----
23" x 23"; Machine pieced, machine quilted; 28 3" courthouse steps blocks combined with 21 3" hourglass blocks (so I named it "Steps in Time"); 2017.

I'm joining the following:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Ems Scrapbag for Moving It Forward Monday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday


11 comments:

priscilla said...

What a wonderful attitude!! I'm 68 & keep wondering if I should continue to buy more fabric, make more pieces, etc....You've definitely given me the answer! I love the process & of course, usually, the outcome. I give most of everything I make away, so it's all for good.

Lisa Boyer said...

Well said! I, too, love the process and I always have. If I focus on the finished product instead of the process, doubt sets in ("What am I going to do with this one--who would ever want it?") and I lose my joy! So I don't. I just enjoy the ride. Yay for the process!

Ramona said...

There is something so soothing and peaceful about just being with the process. I, too, look so forward to just creating. My husband will ask "who is that quilt for?" and I often respond.."I don't know... it hasn't told me yet."

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Enjoy your freedom! I love your little quilt, anything handmade is spectacular!

sue said...

Your quilt is charming and I am uplifted by your words and those from the quilters who have commented. Cheers to the process! Thanks for sharing.

Lynette said...

I absolutely adore the feeling that comes from a scrappy quilt pulling together so nicely like this one. I'm glad you get to quilt purely for the joy of it now!

Rebecca Grace said...

It is so cool that you still have a quilt that you made when you were 11! And that cupboard full of finished quilts is like a treasure chest. I only have a cupboard full of UFOs... :-)

em's scrapbag said...

There is a lot to be said for just enjoying the creative process.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely quilt, and a great post! I guess we all make some wonderful quilts, and some not so wonderful, but I too enjoy my quilty time for the pure process.

phylklos said...

A word to all 'older' quilters---once your family has all the quilts they need, and you still like to play with fabric, how about sewing quilts for Quilts of Valor? It is a great program, and always in need of more quilts. I am 83, and still have a stash that I want to use up before my family has to deal with it! So I sew tops or complete quilts for QOV. Look for more info at qovf.blogspot.com. there is a a 2018 block-drive underway, too. It is a great way to keep sewing!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, your quilting amazes me! I thought I had a lot of quilts. :) It's fun that you are spreading your wings and having fun doing it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann