Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A SIGNATURE QUILT TO CELEBRATE A 40TH ANNIVERSARY

I was asked to design and make a signature quilt commemorating the 40th anniversary of a quilting organization that I belong to.  It turned into a more labor-intensive project than I planned on.
It was my own fault as I think I over designed it not anticipating the work involved.

It contains 131 signature blocks which I gathered from members of the organization over a three-month period.  Members also contributed 56 different pieces of red fabrics to be included in the quilt.

The design has almost 300 flying geese units. I'm a lousy flying geese maker, so I paper pieced them for accuracy.  (I'm now laying off flying geese units for several months!!!)

I finished the quilt top in July, and turned it over to the organization.  It will be machine quilted by another member;
 and, hopefully, be completed by the first of 2019.

Here are some photos of the unquilted top ---

I hope to have some better pictures after it is quilted.



I was honored to be asked to contribute my efforts to an organization I have enjoyed belonging to for 36 years.
It was a fun project ---- just don't ask me to make any more flying geese for awhile!


I'm joining the following:
Have a Daily Cup for Share your Cup Thursday
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, that's a big job. An honour to be asked to make it, but I bet you are glad your part is done and dusted. JUst think how proud you will be to see it quilted and ready for the 40th Anniversary.

Anonymous said...

What a nice idea for a 40th Anniversary quilt, looking forward to see it quilted and on display!

Lynette said...

Wow!! Nice choice for this project, and you did a very nice job. I have a love/hate relationship with flying geese. I do love them so much more than two HSTs joined together, but they are definitely not on my fun-to-make list.