Sunday, April 18, 2021

RETRO ROCKETS #3

One of my 2021 goals is to dig around in my quilt closets, baskets, etc. to see what unfinished quilt tops I can find --- then, if it is worthwhile, finish them. 

I recently found this top (unquilted), along with another one in different fabrics and layout, but with the same two blocks; both tops were made in 2016.  The other one is quite wild in color and fabrics with a lot of fussy-cutting; so I plan to quilt it at a later date. This one feels more traditional.

The quilts are a combination of two different blocks combined to produce a secondary pattern; in this case, the illusion of circles.




Both quilt tops are a reincarnation of "Retro Rockets #1" and the pattern is included in my Traditional Two Block Quilts book, pages 77-82.

"Retro Rockets", 2004, 46"x46"


I don't hardly remember making either of these two tops that I just found, but I have enjoyed quilting this one recently.  As always, I'm still learning and experimenting with machine quilting using some of the design techniques that I used with hand quilting.  This one was tricky, on occasion, as I played around with an old high school geometry idea of a vanishing point (not actually, but sort of!!).  Sorry, Mr. Trechter -- he had high hopes of my profession as a mathematician.  Instead I became a quiltmaker; and married an engineer, who paid attention and followed Mr. Trechter's advice. 

I still love geometry though.


No comments: