Saturday, April 10, 2021

WITHIN A TUDOR

My thought process during the making of this quilt was to reverse the lights and darks from a previous quilt I had made called "Tie That Binds".  I thought it would make a bigger difference in the pattern than it does.


The Stats:  Within a Tudor, 2021, 28"x28", Paper pieced, machine pieced, machine quilted.

Here is "Tie that Binds" as shown in my book, Keepsake Signature Quilts.  The quilt was make in 1996.

 

A story about "Tie that Binds" --- it was in a show at the Pioneer Museum, Colorado Springs, in 1996 where it was an award winner.  I was walking around viewing all the quilts, and happened to be at the quilt next to mine.  There were a couple of ladies looking at mine, and one said, "Well, that's certainly a waste of fabric."  I started giggling and had to walk away.  She didn't get the point as it is a written document with several generations of genealogical birthdates, etc. hand-inked in the beige patches. I had researched diligently our family history to make the quilt.  I learned that day that quilts are subjective like art, and are important to each individual maker.

I always try to learn something from each quilt that I make.  When making "Tie that Binds" I learned so much more about my family ancestry than quiltmaking then I heard the above comment about the quilt at the exhibit.  That was the real learning experience.

Not too much new learned from making "Within a Tudor" (named by my grandson) except that experimenting with lights and darks does not necessarily change the pattern.  I did enjoy playing with the different fabrics, however; and experimenting with machine quilting.  I don't think I'll ever be happy with my attempts at the machine quilting.

I hope you enjoy a new learning experience each day!


No comments: