Monday, May 17, 2021

LITTLE MEDALLIONS

THE BEGINNING OF THE STORY

In 2016 , I was organizing my bins of scrap fabrics and needed a diversion project.  I started pulling out fabrics that I thought could be fussy cut and sewn together as little medallions.  

 I ended up with 63 4-inch blocks and sewed them in a strippy-style quilt top. 

Top only

The sashing and border fabrics are from Moda's Grunge line.  I love the name as it reminds me of the "Grungies" (clothes) and "Woodsies" (outings in the mountains) of my days as a student at Colorado State University and University of Northern Colorado back in the good old days of the 1950s.  

 I had planned to hand quilt it; but, this was about the time the arthritic fingers and macular degeneration of the eyes started to control my quilting life and ended my hand quilting.  The top has remained unquilted in a storage basket under my sewing table since. 

AND NOW, THE END OF THE STORY

It is 5 years later, and I think I feel confident finally to try machine quilting it. It is bigger than anything I have machine quilted in the past.  It was a bit of a struggle, but numerous breaks made it doable.



 

The Stats:  Little Medallions, 2016-2021, 44"x45", Machine pieced, machine quilted, 63 4" medallions.

Quilting gave me the opportunity to revisit and enjoy each little medallion.  So much so, that now I want to make more.

P.S.:  Of course, I have grungie/woodsie pictures taken 5-15-1957

An all-girl woodsie, but the boys
 managed to find us by nightfall
for a bonfire.

In our sorority grungies. Yes, that's me on the left.

 

No comments: