Sunday, November 6, 2022

FOLAGE, FLORALS, AND THEN SOME


 The days are getting shorter and cooler.  It's time to do a wool applique project.  I always enjoy a break from the usual cotton patchwork with the opportunity to work with wool.  I'm from a sheep ranching family that homesteaded in Colorado in 1876 four generations ago, so wool is just embeded in my DNA.


I don't claim to be a good or trained designer, and try to keep things simple within my basic skill set and ability.  Design as you go is my mantra, so no pattern is available. I've discovered that I'm much better at cutting than at drawing.  The leaves and some of the flowers are all freehand cut; the other flowers, etc. are from using cookie cutters, thread spools. and even my thimble for a pattern.  The stitching is all freehand with the exception of my machine's decorative stitching. With wool applique, I use a light- weight heat and bond fusible product.



I save every scrap as you never know when you might need it!  One of the joys of working with wool is there are no seam allowances to deal with.  All of my wool has been felted by washing in hot water and drying in a hot dryer so that it doesn't ravel.


THE STATS:  "Folage, Florals, Etc.", 2022, 23"x23", Machine pieced, Machine appliqued, Machine embroidered, Machine quilted. This is all machine stitched including the binding.



No comments: