Saturday, November 19, 2022

TRAIL TALES


 A traditional quilt block that looks more difficult than in actual construction is "Snail Trail".  It is really just a simple "square within a square, within a square, etc".  The difficulty is in keeping track of fabric and color placement to bring out the snail's trail.

  
I wanted to get out of my usual color and fabric modes plus I got a deal on some batik fat quarters; so I decided to give it a go.   A four-inch snail trail is perfect for a new quilting adventure!!

THE STATS:  "Trail Tales", 2022, 31"x31", Paper Pieced, Machine Pieced, Machine Quilted.  584 pieces.

These photos were taken at the entrance to Skyline Drive which was built by inmate labor in 1905 and rises about 800 feet to overlook the town of Canon City, Colorado.  It is said that each inmate received 10 days off their sentence for every 30 days worked.  Each of the then 48 states contributed a rock to be included in the entrance arch built in 1932.  In the picture below you can see the rock from Maine, the original home of my Colorado pioneer ancestors.





I enjoy getting out of my comfort zone once in a while!

No comments: