Sunday, January 15, 2023

MY FAVORITE QUILT

I think I am considered a prolific, dedicated quiltmaker.    The numbers if anyone cares -- over the years since 1951, I have documented and photographed 208 quilts, including 31 made in 2022 alone.  Of the un-documented items there are several more quilts gone as gifts and with the ravages of time.  All this is said to explain that I am, however,  a 'process' not a 'product' quilter.  It is the creative and mathematical PROCESS I'm interested in and not the end result.  Once they are completed and photographed, I rarely touch them again.  My mind, for some reason, is wired by some geometrist's love of shapes and how they interact; and that is why I have quilted for 70+ years.

I'm often asked if I have a favorite quilt that I have made.  The answer may be a surprise.  Since the stored quilts are rarely used, the one I grab when I'm cold (the obvious normal reason for making a quilt) and therefore my favorite is this unnamed and totally unexciting one.


It's simple and made of wool lined in flannel for warmth and totally made by machine. It also appeals to my frugal nature made of thrifted wool, washed and felted, and is lap-sized.  It will be the one quilt that goes to the nursing home with me when the time comes.  The rest of those surviving quilts; all of those time-consuming, intricate, with hand-work quilts will be up to the discretion of my family to disperse.

I'm keeping this one.  

And, that is my story!!!





  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all have a favorite something. I understand.

Sue @Rue-Mouffetard said...

Youre amazing with how many quilts you have made...I have all the pieces cut out in my sewing room and too lazy to go upstairs and start on it...I found all fabric from Simplicity pattern packaging. My best friend and I used to make our clothes with these patters.So I decided to make her one. The patterns are so busy that I have to add the backing fabric into the patched part then I will use it on the backside...not wool and not fleece but that new fabric with the bumps.......Don't talk about what youre bringing to the home...your too sharp minded for that.....but you can tell the family that Im your biggest fan and I would be honored to buy one of the quilts....actually they need to go in a museum somewhere for the world to see and enjoy....your eye for photographing them just blows me away. You know exactly what background to use for each quilt....Love, Sue.