Monday, February 20, 2023

WINDING ROAD


For years I have admired and made log cabin quilts.    However, I have never made the curved log cabin variation.

  Assembling fabrics for the quilt, I tried to pick colors from my scraps that are not my usual combinations -- trying purples, olives, gold, rust, and brown together.  Of course, it is hard for me to not include red, but tried to keep to a darker, muddy red.  The one piece of quilting advice that my grandmother gave me was, "Every quilt needs a little red!" Can't go against a grandmother's advice.  (Kids are you listening?)


In the interest of accuracy, I usually paper-piece my log cabins, cutting and organizing the pieces as to size in advance.  I realize that this is not the most expedient way, but I have abundant time and this works for me.


THE STATS:  Winding Road, 2023, 30"x30", Paper pieced, Machine pieced, Machine quilted.



If you have driven in Colorado, you probably have been on one of our many winding roads.  You have to wind around to get over the mountains.  When learning to drive, our teenagers find out fast the perils of driving.  It does add a little excitement to teaching them to drive; but they will travel on a mountain road within a mile of our town and probably with a carload of teenagers.
  
It is much easier to make a quilt!





1 comment:

eileen said...

Love the winding effect, turned out Great!