Wednesday, March 1, 2023

COLORADO SNOWBALLS

February, March, and April are usually the big snowy months for my part of Colorado.  I enjoy the cold, snowy days as it gives me time to stay home and quilt.  In honor of that joy, I decided on an old traditional block called "Snowball" for this quilt.

THE STATS:  Colorado Snowballs, 2023, 25"x25", Machine pieced, machine quilted.

I've been asked about my supply of scraps.  My fabric buying habit is normally purchasing fat quarters when I need an infusion of newer fabric for a specific project. I try not to buy on speculation. Occasionally, I find it necessary to buy a larger amount for borders and/or a backing. I'm a fairly frugal person and save any scrap larger than a 1 1/2" square from previous quilting projects for use in a future quilt. Since I have been doing this process for a long time and have made many quilts, I have built a supply that is contained in a 6-foot fabric closet.

As in the case of this quilt, I can complete a project without any additional purchase of fabric.  I was sad this time to use up small scraps of a couple of my favorite Jinny Beyer fabrics from the early 1980s.  They have appeared in several quilts over the years.  Better saved in a quilt than in the closet!

  I love playing with fabric!


Snow and blue skies gradually transform the prairie into blossoming green grass.  

It's called God's gift of Spring.





No comments: