Tuesday, April 4, 2023

WHEELHOUSE

 I'm attracted to pink/red and brown quilts especially if they involve curves. I also like a  challenge in drawing a workable pattern with geometric theories learned 65+ years ago.  In trying to find an old protractor, my mathematical son told me they don't divide a curve in equal segments that way any more.  It is all done on the computer --- well, guess I'm just old-school!  Fortunately, we found a larger protractor in a drawer from our old engineering business days.

There are innumerable ways these 5" blocks can be set together.  I experimented, but decided on this way.  I never can resist a large, floral print for a border.


THE STATS:  Wheelhouse, 2023, 28" x 28", Paper pieced, machine pieced, machine quilted.



 PS:  I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt including this family of nerd's discussion over dinner about the different ways a curve can be divided into even divisions.  It reminded me of road trips with Mike when he was a preschooler.  The three of us would pass traveling time by working simple algebraic and geometric problems in our heads. He was quick even as a 3-year-old to understand the concepts. At the time, we didn't realize his lifework would be in mathematics and science.  We've made a lot of parenting mistakes over the years.  Exposing him to math was not one of them.  Also, teaching him where middle C was on the piano at 18 months of age was a good one.  He is a very respectable pianist today.  Unfortunately, the joy of quiltmaking isn't in any of our kids' or grandkids' wheelhouse.  Win a few, lose a lot -- that's parenting!

No comments: