Tuesday, April 2, 2024

BARN TOUR

It's not a secret that I love old barns, especially the juxtaposition of a quilt photographed against a barn.  Starting in 1991, when I photographed my first barn with a quilt, I constantly have had my eye out for barns that are a possible photo opportunity.  My trouble is that we are older with limited mobility issues, and access on public property to view a barn is not usually available.  The great old barns are normally on private property, and access not available without permission.

In all of the years, these are the only ones I have managed to photograph.

All quilts were designed, made, and photographed by me.

"Starshine"  The location --- 1876 Haines
Homestead, Otero County

"Treasure Trove"   The location --
Holy Cross Abbey, Canon City


"Rising Star"   The location -- Costilla County

"Apex"  The location -- Goodnight Barn
Pueblo County

"Good Cheer"  The location --
Pear and Field, Canon City


"Stardust"  The location --- Red
Canyon Road, Fremont County


There was a barn that I really wanted to photograph --the one on my family's original farm dating from the early 1900s.  The Haines family lived on that farm from early 1900s until 1961.  I grew up there.  We found out who owns the farm now, and obtained permission to photograph the barn (also known to us as the onion house).  But, we found that the barn of my youth was being remodeled into a future residence.  The outside changes sadden me, and I just couldn't photograph it with a treasured quilt.  However, the old grain elevator on the property still remained as I remembered it.  I switched focus, and photographed it instead.  After all, it was a barn for storing grain!

"Starstruck"  The location -- 1900 Haines
Family Farm, Otero County

Now that it is Spring, we will be out and about looking for barns to be photographed with the quilts.  The search keeps us young, if only in spirit!

No comments: