Saturday, January 27, 2018

ARCHITECTURAL JUXTAPOSITION

When I was growing up, I wanted to be an architect.  I was told in the 1950s that girls didn't do that!  I really didn't have the ambition to swim against the tide, so I chose another life journey with never a moment of regret!   


 Fortunately over the years, we have been able to do some traveling where my focus has always been the architecture --- from castles and cathedrals to cottages. 
I have observed some great accomplishments of talented architects.  I love the juxtaposition of modern buildings with traditional, older structures.

I'm always inspired and wish I could transfer my love of architecture more effectively to my quiltmaking achieving that energy of juxtaposition.

 In this recent small quilt, I have combined the modern architectural triangle with a traditional quilt setting.  To read more about my triangle inspiration check out my other blog, https://sallyssalmagundi.blogspot.com/2018/01/architectural-inspiration.html.  (Click Here.)



I fussy-cut the fabrics enclosed by the triangles to remind me of
the treasures found inside some great buildings I have visited.

The stats:
"Juxtaposition", 2018, 18" x 31"
Machine paper-pieced, machine quilted.

I'm joining the following:
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
Em's Scrapbag for Moving It Forward Monday
What a Hoot Quilts for BOMS Away Monday
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

4 comments:

Lynette said...

What a nice mini quilt. I really like the look of the modern triangles in the traditional prints.

em's scrapbag said...

Your triangle in the square is neat. You should continue to explore architecture in your quilting.

Vivian said...

I think you will find a way to put more architecture into your quilts. So often things in architecture wind up influencing both the blocks we piece and the quilt stitching we do on our quilts. Just recently I saw a pattern where pieced squares were surrounded by "Attic Window" frames which together reminded me of the bases of pyramids --- quilting and architecture do go together!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You created such an interesting quilt. Congrats! on its completion.