Wednesday, September 11, 2024

BOX OF CRAYONS



 As a child I loved (and was very possessive of) my box of crayons.  I don't think I ever  had a box with more than 8 - 10 crayons in it.  The box of 64 was not issued until 1958 and the box of 96 in 1993 long after my childhood.  But, I'm sure I dreamt of more colors than were available in that small box at the time.


Now, I can make quilts with as many colors as I want!  My dreams are still color oriented.


THE STATS:  Box of Crayons, 2024, 33" x 33", Paper pieced, Machine pieced, Machine quilted.  

Going with the theme of a box of 96 crayons; I used 96 different fabrics/colors in the patchwork.  That did not include the border or backing fabrics.

I chose this fabric for the back because it reminds me of my childhood crayon doodles.


About the quilting --- I had some variegated thread in my stash from years ago that I have not used very much.  Because of my frugal nature, I needed to use them.  Since this quilt is about color, I thought why not now.  I had 8 different spools in various colors from 6 different brands.  My favorite spool was a Gutermann cotton.  My least favorites were the rayons, at least for this application.  Over all, I'm on the fence about the effect of variegated thread for machine quilting. 

 

My apologies to my childhood friends for not sharing my crayons with you.  What was I thinking? --- COLOR is meant to be shared to bring joy into life! 


There was a Crayola factory in Winfield, Kansas where my grandparents lived. We drove by it many times which always fueled my dreams, but I never got to tour!  The Winfield factory was closed in 1997, but the Binney & Smith (Crayola) company has offices and factories worldwide today for all those kids who are fortunate to have a box of crayons all their own.

P.S.:  Yes, that is my current box of 96 crayons -- all gradated according to color!!!

No comments: