Monday, September 2, 2024

THOUGHTS ON FRUGAL, OLD-SCHOOL QUILTMAKING

 Quiltmaking was born of necessity originally for the purpose of using scraps and parts of worn-out clothing to make items for warmth.  The process has grown exponentially into the industry that we experience today.

DISCLAIMER:  I admit that I am a lousy consumer of this industry.  It's not that I disagree with it; and I applaud the very talented and industrious people who are the designers, owners of businesses, etc.  It's just that my quilt story is different.  

MY BACKSTORY ---   

My mother starting to work outside of the home when I first went to school.  Therefore, I spent a lot of time with my two grandmothers, and my two great-grandmothers.  These were women who had just emerged from the 1930s depression, and then from World War II; and I think their middle names were "FRUGAL".  These are the women who after a day of hard work around the house and gardens taught me the joy of 'fancy work'.  I made my first quilt at the age of 11 in 1950 under their tutelage without a pattern and from scraps of their housedresses and aprons. 

 I knew then that quiltmaking was something I wanted to pursue.  Thus, started my journey.

DESIGN

In the 1940s, about the only patterns available commercially were in some women's magazines, or on a page devoted to wives in farming journals.  It was necessary to trace them off, and make your own templates on cereal-box cardboard.  I loved math in school, and started to think of all of the geometric shapes that could be made into a quilt.  I pulled out the graph paper; and begun to learn more about quilt-block classification, figuring yardages and sizes.  I have never had a need to purchase any patterns, due to my do-it-yourself, frugal upbringing.  However, I'm fortunate to have been inspired and influenced by traditional quilts, innovative contemporary quilts, architecture, museums, and my experiences of domestic and European travel .

TOOLS

As a 16-year old, I purchased my first sewing machine, a Domestic straight-sewer, for $45 on a payment plan.  I didn't get to take that machine home for nine months until I  paid it off!  I bought my second machine, a zig-zag White, in 196l for $125 cash.  I wore those two machines out until parts for them were no longer available.  In the 2000s, I purchased a Viking with a few embroidery features, and I now have a Bernina 335.  Both machines were economy models.  I love them -- I'm not interested in more features as I want to tell the machine what I need, and not vise versa (I'm a control freak).  With my very first machine, my grandfather taught me how to maintain, repair, and service my machine.  In 70 years of sewing, my machines have been very economical to own.

GADGETS

In the early 1980s, I purchased two sizes of Gingher scissors, a Kai-cut rotary cutter, and  6", 12", and 24" rulers.  I've never had a need to replace these, and still use them daily.  My ironing surface is an adjustable ironing board I received at my wedding shower in 1958.  I have replaced my irons occasionally over the years after using them for both household use and for quilt making.  I always buy the cheapest on the market, and they last several years after extensive use.  That's about it -- what more have I needed?

FABRIC

Now, I get to my downfall.  I love fabric!  When I first began buying fabric, I had very little disposable cash available.  I found that I would rather have four different fabrics than a yard of a same fabric.  Thus, I would pick up four fat quarters every time that I had the money available.  After 40 years, I have a very acceptable collection of small pieces and scraps for multi-fabric quilts.  I never buy larger lengths on speculation; and in my frugal nature, only purchase yardage for what is absolutely necessary for backings, borders, or bindings on a specific quilt.  Then the small scraps from these purchases are saved for future quilts.  I'm often able to construct quilts with just what I have on hand.  I always check the quilt store's sales, and love their bonus rewards programs.  It usually takes me two to three years to accumulate those points to cash in, but what a fun shopping day that is!

I'm amazed by what is on the market today for quiltmakers -- kits with laser cut pieces, patterns galore, more gadgets than I can count, fancy sewing machines that can practically cook dinner for you.  If I was just starting out with the hobby (or business) of making quilts, I don't know how I would react.  It's all amazing to this old-school quiltmaker!

Now, we are retired on a limited income; and I still find such joy in making quilts drawing on those concepts handed down from my grandmothers of frugality and thankfulness for what I have and learned in life.

P.S.:  I would probably buy that sewing machine if it would cook dinner for us.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your journey. I enjoyed walking with you. Pamela